Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 03:00 PM
Subject: IBHS Hurricane Activity Update

Hurricane Engineering & Communications Activity Update

The Institute for Business & Home Safety, along with its members and partners, continues to gather and analyze data and offer resources and expertise during this highly active hurricane season.

Click here to see images captured by IBHS engineers and building code experts before and after Hurricane Ivan, along with their comments on the damage that occurred.

As Hurricane Ivan approached, IBHS President and CEO Harvey Ryland once again appeared on the national Fox News Channel to talk about what we?ve learned so far this season, and also on the op-ed page of the Tampa Tribune with a bylined article titled, ?It's Not Too Late To Prepare.?

Now, as cleanup takes place in nearly a dozen states from the storm and its remnants, IBHS information has been posted on television news web sites as far north as Pittsburgh, and used in a variety of newspapers, including The Miami Herald, Delaware's News-Journal and the St. Petersburg Times. A major story in today's Wall Street Journal, "Hurricanes Test Building Codes - Again," quotes IBHS Building Code Manager Jeff Burton.

Last Sunday, IBHS staff members participated in the OPERATION REBUILD: Building Florida Back Better construction fair held in Port Charlotte, sponsored by the Florida Home Builders Association and the Charlotte County Builders and Contractors Association. Southwest Florida residents affected by Hurricane Charley, and contractors who will be helping them rebuild, were eager for information to help increase their disaster-resistance. Nearly 1,000 people took part in this first-of-its kind event. We provided our new publication, Rebuilding After a Hurricane, which includes recommendations based on our recent findings in post-disaster damage assessments, and information about our Fortified?for safer living® program.

The IBHS Annual Conference on Property Loss Reduction, to be held November 4 and 5 in Orlando, FL, will offer in-depth reports on Charley, Frances and Ivan. Register online for the Congress at special early-bird rates.