RE: Sign Post Design, K-Factor and L/300 Criteria

Do you really need to be concerned about deflection of a free standing sign
if the column remains elastic?

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Boltz [mailto:dboltz(--nospam--at)1st.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 8:26 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Sign Post Design, K-Factor and L/300 Criteria

I'm designing a column that supports a scoreboard.  My deflection criteria
is L/300.  I'm using a K-Factor of 2.10 per AISC Fixed-Free boundary
conditions.  I'm a little unsure of how to calculate the deflection criteria
for the sign.

I have a deflection at the top of 1.72".  The bottom of the sign is 10' off
the ground and the sign is 12.13' tall.  If I just use the full length of
the column (L=265.56"), then I have L/deflection = 265.56/1.72 = 155.

1.  Should I be using relative deflection to compare to the L/300 criteria?
My relative deflection between the top and bottom of the sign is 1.22".  For
the full column length, this would result in L/218 and for the length/height
of the sign I would have L/119.

2.  So do I use the full length of 265.56"/1.22" = 218 or use the
length/height of the sign which equals L/119?  The height of the sign is
145.56" and would result in 145.56/1.22 = 119.  Neither is close to the
required deflection criteria.

Thanks.

Sent via the WebMail system at 1st.net