From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Thursday, September 23, 2004 4:07 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: NCSEA Annual Conference & NCAA Football

I would agree that the conflicts are rather unavoidable.  We are into
"conference season" and there are going to be conflicts.  First, there are
a ton of conferences/annual meetings that get "jammed" into the fall.
There is ACI's fall conference (last week of October this year), there is
ASCE's Civil convention (Oct 20-23...but likely not a huge draw to most
SEs), there is The Masonry Society's annual meeting and MSJC meetings (Oct
6-12), there is NCSEA's annual meeting, I believe NSPE's meeting is
sometime soon.  While not all are big draws for SEs or all engineers, they
still try to avoid each other as much as possible.  Then you have to worry
about conflict of a more "personal" nature such as religious holidays.
And also the groups have to "fit" there conference in at a time when the
facilities are available.

So, the end result is that someone is always gonna be unhappy with the
timing of one of these events and will end up having to miss the event.
While unfortunate, it is largely unavoidable.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI