RE: LFD vs. LRFD

I think the titles give you a clue:

LFD = Load Factor Design

LRFD = Load AND RESISTANCE Factor Design

IIRC, LFD was something akin to "Strength Design" of concrete which still
persists to this day.

LRFD is closer to the latter-day ideal of a true "limit state design."

I know I'm just spewing buzzwords, but at least you can do a GOOGLE on those
buzzwords for more information.