RE: Subject: Future Residential Addition -- Which Way CA?

>Hey, wouldn't it be nice if the codes were available online "free"?

AISC does this for you for steel (www.aisc.org/epubs). However, every
code and standard development organization has to find some way to bear
the costs associated -- and recoup them, including overhead. Since most
others do that directly on sales of the documents themselves, I would
not hold my breath for all building codes and related documents to be
free.

Speaking as a structural engineer (as opposed to as an employee of
AISC), I think the argument that codes should be free to us puts us at
the precipice of a slippery slope. This seems to be an argument based
upon the premise that we are required to use these documents, there are
so many of them, and they all cost so much. However, look at our own
work product with that same thought process. Our services are required
by law, for every structure, and the fees are so high (from the client's
perspective). Thus, a cynical client would exploit the same argument
above to say SE services should be free.

Charlie