Yahoo! News Story - Building Collapses at Dubai Airport (fwd)

For those interested...

Middle East - AP
AP Building Collapses at Dubai Airport

1 hour, 35 minutes ago

By RAWYA RAGEH, Associated Press Writer

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - A large wall in a building under
construction at Dubai airport collapsed Monday, killing more than eight
people and injuring many more, a contractor said.

Workers at the site said they saw up to 40 casualties being taking away,
but there was no confirmation of the number of wounded.

"At least eight people were killed on the spot and some died in hospital,
but we don't know how many," an official of Al-Naboodah Contracting Co.,
the main contractor at the site, said on condition of anonymity.

A large partition in a building under construction at the site collapsed,
the contractor said. About 150 workers were on the site when the
partition fell at 11 a.m..

"The wall fell down, and we all ran to help, but there wasn't anything we
could do," said worker Daljinder Singh. "Rescue teams were very late in
coming. It took them maybe one hour to arrive."

Other workers put the casualties at about 40, saying most were injured.

"I saw many, many of my colleagues being taken away," a worker said,
before he was told to be quiet by a supervisor.

Airport spokeswoman Lavina Dixit Chatterjee said there had been "an
incident at the construction site of Terminal 3," but did not give
details. Police said there were casualties, but they did not know how
many.

The airport is being upgraded and expanded in a $4.1 billion program. It
bills itself "the world's fastest growing airport."

The design consultant for the Terminal 3 construction is Aeroports de
Paris International, according to the airport's official web site. The
French firm also operates Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, where part
of a terminal collapsed in May, killing four people.

An Aeroports de Paris official in Dubai said the firm was not involved in
the construction where Monday's accident occurred.

"We did the architecture, but we have nothing to do with the
construction," the official said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

Dubai airport handles 22 million passengers a year. The expansion is
designed to boost the airport's capacity to 60 million passengers a year
when it is completed in 2018.

Story Tools
Mail to Friend  Email Story
Message Boards   Post/Read Msgs
Printer Version   Print Story
Ratings: Would you recommend this story?
Not at all 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 Highly

Next Story: Jordan's King Says Italians Alive in Iraq  (AP)
More World - Middle East Stories
 More than 10 killed, as Powell warns Iraq insurgency getting worse
(AFP)
 Five dead in Dubai airport construction accident  (AFP)
 Five killed, 46 wounded in US airstrike on rebel posts in Baghdad
(AFP)
 Four Iraqis killed, one injured in roadside bombing  (AFP)
 Brother of British hostage in Iraq slams Blair  (AFP)

        [B1319831.41;sz=160x600;abr=!ie4;abr=!ie5;ord=1096289761043442?]

        Copyright  2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. The
       information contained in the AP News report may not be published,
        broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written
                       authority of The Associated Press.

              Copyright (C) 2004 Yahoo! Inc. All rights reserved.
                             Questions or Comments
       Privacy Policy -Terms of Service - Copyright Policy - Ad Feedback