RE: EIT - Engineer

I agree that while Mr. Doe's loose use of the title "Engineer" may
technically violate the laws in SOME states, it is still a generally
accepted practice.  At my original firm in Mississippi, an EI was officially
called a "Civil Engineer I".  After a couple of years you get upgraded to a
"CE II".  No mention of "Intern" or "Training" anywhere.  Ultimately, it
depends entirely on the laws of the state in question and whether or not
you're looking for a reason to report someone.

To get EXTRA picky, here are some additional comments on the title:

1. It?s oxymoronic; the title essentially reads, ?John Doe, Engineer In
Training, Engineer?.  Is he an Engineer, or Engineer-In-Training?  To be one
implies that he is not the other.

2. Is the title EIT still officially in use?  I believe the official title
is "Engineering Intern", or "EI".  In Mr. Doe's defense, however, I feel
that the term "Intern", while technically accurate, can be seen as degrading
as it's the same title given to part-time summer help.  I know that I was
moderately offended when my new business cards read "Jason W. Kilgore,
Engineering Intern", because this was about the time the Monica Lewinski
circus was really getting big.  I was even more offended because it took WAY
too long to get new cards after passing the PE exam.

Anyway, enough babbling for a Monday.  Get back to work, Jason.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri