From: Jason W. Kilgore [mailto:jkilgore(--nospam--at)leok.com]
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 8:56 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: SECB Letter

Structural Engineering Certification Board (SECB)

This letter was distributed to SEAKM (SEA of Kansas and Missouri), and I'm
passing it along to this group FYI.  I've edited it slightly to remove
non-pertinent information, mostly information about some forms attached to
the original letter, indicated by "...".

Please note that I'm not voicing my opinion, simply passing along
information.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri

In December 2003, the NCSEA Member Organizations narrowly
voted to proceed with the establishment of an independent
body to create a national board certification program for
structural engineers.  SECB is the result.  The purpose of
SECB is to differentiate structural engineering as a
distinct discipline and establish uniform minimum standards
of qualification and competent professional practice
throughout the United States.

After several months of organizing, SECB is ready to begin
accepting applications for certification on the basis of
experience alone, i.e. "grandfathering".  The requirements
are as follows:

1.  The applicant must hold an active license or
registration (as applicable) in any U.S. jurisdiction to
act in responsible charge of structural engineering
projects.  The license and/or registration must have been
awarded on or before June 19, 2005 and must remain valid
continuously through the time of application.

2.  The applicant must be actively engaged in the practice
of structural engineering for a period of not less than the
3 years immediately preceding the application for
certification.

It is important to note that since Kansas and Missouri
both issue generic Professional Engineer licenses, this is
sufficient to qualify for certification, as long as the
license was issued on or before 06/19/05.  It is not
necessary to have a Structural Engineer license from one
of the states that issues it separately.

The cost of certification is a $250 application fee, plus
$100 per year, i.e. $350 up front and $100 annually
thereafter.  Although there is no time limit on being
certified by "grandfathering", the initial cost will
increase by $100 for each year or part thereof between the
date of filing and 01/01/05.  In other words, if you wait
ten years, then seek to be "grandfathered", the total cost
will be the same as if you signed up now and renewed every
year--$1,250.

In the near future, SECB will finalize the requirements
for "ordinary" certification, which will include education,
experience, and examinations.  It is likely that the
combination of the NCEES Structural I and Structural II
tests will be considered sufficient to fulfill the
examination component. This route will be available to
anyone, including those who do not apply right away and
those who are not licensed or registered to practice until
after 06/19/05.

I have stated publicly that the market will determine
whether board certification of structural engineers
ultimately succeeds or fails.  The time has come to
cast your vote.  If you believe, as I do, that
certification is valuable and will greatly benefit the
structural engineering profession, especially in the long
run, then I urge you to sign up as soon as possible.

If you have any questions or wish to learn more about
SECB, please ... visit the SECB website at
www.secertboard.org.