'Spring' supported mat

Title: 'Spring' supported mat

I need help on the 'spring' supports used in Fdn mat design.  I tried Staad
& PCAMats in a mat design, (with 1ft x 1ft elements).  Both are treating the 'spring'
supports differently.

Staad takes the Static principle & it satisfies the applied forces = Spring reactions.
Moreover Staad 'dumps all horizontal reactions at the base node of the pier.  This I think
might change the distribution pattern.  All other nodes' horizontal reactions = 0. I think
Staad gives conservative results.(sometimes the fdn fails due to limitation in size)

But PCAMats takes into account the spring's potential & kinetic energy, with the result,
the spring reactions are somewhat less than the applied forces.
The weaker the spring, less the reactions.  Both  approaches are different & takes care of the 'Flexible' mat.
This you can see in the soil bearing pressure around the pier is more & away, it is less.

I need to know which approach is more 'correct'?  Is there any reference/hand cals/text book to find
spring reactions(say, for a simple spread footing)?  Has anybody tried both the approaches?

Thanks

Ravi Vasu, P.E.,

it from your computer.