Re: 'Spring' supported mat

Himat,

If it is not a hastle, I would like a copy.

Rajendran

Himat Solanki <hsolanki(--nospam--at)scgov.net> wrote:
Ravi,

I have a handheld calculations of mat foundation design examples
(simple and complex prblems) with significant number of supporting
tables.

You may deside to use STAAD or PCA Mat or any other computor programs,
but if you wants to do hand calculations these informatin would be
extremely helpful.

If you let me know your mailing address I will copy and mail to you
(because too many tables fax would not be appropriate to me.

regards,

Himat Solanki

>>> Ravi.Vasu(--nospam--at)jacobs.com 10/1/2004 2:14:08 PM >>>
I need help on the 'spring' supports used in Fdn mat design. I tried
Staad
& PCAMats in a mat design, (with 1ft x 1ft elements). Both are
treating the
'spring'
supports differently.

Staad takes the Static principle & it satisfies the applied forces =
Spring
reactions.
Moreover Staad 'dumps all horizontal reactions at the base node of the
pier.
This I think
might change the distribution pattern. All other nodes' horizontal
reactions
= 0. I think
Staad gives conservative results.(sometimes the fdn fails due to
limitation
in size)

But PCAMats takes into account the spring's potential & kinetic energy,
with
the result,
the spring reactions are somewhat less than the applied forces.
The weaker the spring, less the reactions. Both approaches are
different &
takes care of the 'Flexible' mat.
This you can see in the soil bearing pressure around the pier is more &
away,
it is less.

I need to know which approach is more 'correct'? Is there any
reference/hand
cals/text book to find
spring reactions(say, for a simple spread footing)? Has anybody tried
both
the approaches?

Thanks

Ravi Vasu, P.E.,

information that is for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any
viewing,
recipients is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message
in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and
deleting
it from your computer.