Keychain memory [was CODES: Electronic Version Should Be Provided]

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>

> On Sep 29, 2004, at 11:44 PM, Paul Ransom wrote:
>
> > USB memory stick has been my cross-platform portable storage medium for
> > a couple years now.
> I recollect my son mentioning something like that, but he was all so
> casual, I thought it was some kind of toy, and I was so thrilled when
> the Apple genius got COSMOS/M running under Classic on my laptop that I
> didn't notice. When I think about it--it's the logical extension to the
> Nikenet and a floppy disk, except there's so much more you can do with
> serious storage that's so portable. Are the units rugged? Could you
> really carry them on a keychain?

It's been brilliant. They typically have a cap to cover the USB
connector and an LED to show read/write activity. They're pretty rugged.
I clip it onto a pocket in my briefcase because it's too big for my
overweight keychain. I think that the newer, small ones might be too
easy to lose.

Windows above 98 & Mac OS 8+ will automatically recognize the devices.
You need to format it as a PC drive so you are stuck with the way that
Classic handles the PC file names and you can't use all the characters
that Windows won't recognize in a file name.

Mine is only 64 MB, USB 1.x but I have been drooling over one of those 1
GB USB 2.x units (kiss the CD case goodbye). Some new units have a USB
base with, say 64 MB, but you can plug in their additional membory
modules. Looks interesting but may not be very practical.

Warning:
1) file transfer speed is marginally faster than a floppy (e.g. maybe
10x faster downhill with a tailwind) with USB 1.x. I can't speak for
2.x, yet.
2) you can spread PC virii via the memory stick.

I'm waiting for an optical port for really fast transfers but that may
be a few more years away.

> > Now if somebody would do a UNIX port of some decent, current structural
> > analysis software to run on the Mac OSX ...
> Hearing all the chatter from bioscience guys talking about running
> their UNIX codes on G5 clusters just breaks my heart.

Apple was profiling one bio-outfit that was running 1600+ (or some
outrageous quantity) G5 Xserve boxes in parallel because it was the cost
efficient option.

I have already resigned myself to the fact that I must have a PC in my
office, again. The new Canadian design codes are now mandatory and I
have to upgrade the software, anyway. WinXP in Virtual PC is just too
slow on my old 350 MB G3 and I can get a 2 GB WINTEL box for pocket
change. So, continuing with emulators doesn't make sense. I understand
that the OSX Classic environment is going to disappear, too. I was
hoping to hold out for that UNIX port ...

I haven't had a virus, or virus scanning software with continuous
license updates, since I dumped the 286. The PC will not be networked.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International