Re: Structural Observation & Liability: When They Cover Up Their Work

I think you should immediately inform the jurisdiction the project was permitted in. If the approved drawings had language in them that required structural observation, and they didn't comply, the building official should be made aware of that fact.

Ben Yousefi, SE
Santa Monica, CA

>>> jon(--nospam--at)jonbrody.com 10/04/04 09:44AM >>>
I'm curious what most engineers do when they aren't given the opportunity to
perform structural observation.  My most recent example involves a small
wood-framed structure, with long span engineered lumber and wood shearwalls,
for use at a private school.  My structural notes said that structural
observation would be performed of rebar prior to pour, and of framing prior
to concealment by finishes.  I found out recently that the entire thing was
built without anyone contacting my office.  My inclination is to write a
letter to the owner informing them that I can neither vouch for, nor assume
liability for, the construction having been performed in conformance to my
drawings.  Is that enough to cover myself in terms of liability?  What are
my other options?  I know this is basically a legal question, but I'd like
to know what other offices do.

Thanks in advance for any responses,

Jon Brody, S.E.
San Francisco