Re: Annoying Floor Vibrations

Daryl,

The two primary issues would appear to be amplitude and frequency, although
your suggestion of increasing damping suggests an additional consideration
of duration of vibration. Increasing the stiffness will improve the first
two. How would you plan on increasing stiffness? Can the joists/sheathing
act integrally with the beam? This does not seem to be part of your
calculations. Are you considering an additional beam? If so, I suggest the
new beam be selected to have a different frequency from the existing so they
do not act together. If the issue is only duration, installing a damper may
work, depending upon the configuration of the system.

James Cohen, PE
James Cohen Consulting, PC
http://expertpages.com/jccpc