RE: Annoying Floor Vibrations

Additional finishes will bring some damping but also contribute mass :<(

The best solutions I've found for vibrating floors are typically stiffness increases.  Certainly the 5 hz is not far above the vibration of walking foot falls and could result in glasses rattling on a hard surface supported by the floor.  One solution is to eliminate such items but that solution isusually not too popular with the client.

However, an increase in stiffness of 3 times will only lift the fundamental frequency to about 8.7 hz (it varies as the square root of the I value).  Solving the vibration will probably require abandoning the apparent effort to have a smooth ceiling with no beam projecting downward.

Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley  CA