From: Larry_Reynolds(--nospam--at)nps.gov
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Vinyl Sheet Piling Foundation Walls
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 10:14:46 -0600

I am reviewing a set of drawings for a Visitors Center at a remote location
in Alaska.  This is an IBC-2000, Seismic Design Category C building.The
structural engineer is proposing vinyl sheet piling spanning  between steel
columns for the foundation wall.  The wall is braced for in-plane loads by
diagonal steel straps attached to the steel columns. The columns are braced
by the floor and roof diaphragms.  A steel channel spans between the tops
of the columns.

Due to the remoteness of the site, and the difficulty and expense of
placing concrete at his location, this idea may have some merit.
Environmental restrictions are such that an on-site batch plant is not
allowed.

I have searched IBC-2000 and IBC-2003 and could not find any restrictions
on the use of this material.  On the other hand, I could not find where the
code said this was an acceptable use of the material.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of application for vinyl
sheet piling?  What are some of the problems we should look out for?  Among
our concerns are performance at low temperatures, and seismic issues.

Thanks,

Larry Reynolds, P.E.
National Park Service