Maximum Number of Wood-Framed Stories?

I have a 4 story wood framed housing project under IBC 2003. We are in Seismic Design Category C and it is Group R-2, Type 5A construction and fully sprinklered. Table 503 allows us 4 stories and Table 1617.6.2 says we have no height limit.

Anyway, we have a portion of the building that has a tall first story and the architect has added a small mezzanine that does not constitute an additional story as far as his part of the code is concerned.

Is there anything in the IBC or NDS that prevents us from having 5 (structural) stories of construction in wood?

I’m on the digest and need to find the answer to this question quickly so please respond to me directly.

Thank you.

Chuck Hanson PE

Dekker/Perich/Sabatini

architecture, interiors, planning, engineering

6801 Jefferson NE, Suite 100

Albuquerque, NM 87109

505.761.9700 - 505.761.4222