From: Roger Davis [mailto:rdavis(--nospam--at)sdsarch.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 11:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: horizontal large building

"dilation" is probably a miss-interpretation of "expansion joint".  One rule
of thumb says about 200 feet or about 60 meters; but that is only a point to
start with.  You need to consider the environment, the type of structure and
the use of the structure.  188m with out an expansion joint is a long
distance but if the building is designed for that distance then it doesn't
matter.  The 200 feet guideline serves only to make you think about possible
expansion and contraction issues.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.