From: ENZO SANTOS [mailto:erss12000(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 10:33 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: HOW TO DETERMINE A FLEXIBLE DIAPHRAGM

hi to all folks.

i have a trouble with flexible diaphragms. I´m working on a Thesis about this and i have floors of reinforced concrete, i think they are flexibles because they have huge openings on the floors.

My question is how should i modelate a bulding in a software to determine if it is rigid or flexible.

I know that it´s flexible when:

                     Max Lateral Deformation> 2 * Story Drift

My big problem as i said, HOW SHOULD I MODELATE?

A) Modelate as Rigid then i compare the desplacements as above?

B) Modelate as flexible then i compare....

Or maybe there is another way to check if it is flexible.

Thanks in advance.

renatto

Do You Yahoo!?
Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.