Re: forces at shear wall openings

Joe,

Some of the best examples of hand calculations use to be in the Chelapati (Long Beach) P.E. Review Notes.  There are also examples in Amrhein's Masonry Handbook.

However, I find it a lot easier just to do a simple 2D fine mesh finite element model and delete the elements where the doors and windows occur, put the seismic load at the roof/story level and let the computer distribute the forces.  It also makes for some neat color stress plots.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
ABS Consulting

"Joe Grill" <jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com>

10/06/2004 01:35 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
forces at shear wall openings

Some time ago I saw an example (in a text or elsewhere) showing calculations to determine the forces at the edges of multiple openings in a shear wall.  I have examples for a single opening, but for some reason (age, lack of enthusiasm, two martini lunch) I can’t close the forces with multiple openings.  The source may have been Breyers latest text, I don’t remember and I don’t have a copy of it myself.  I anyone has an example I would appreciate getting a copy, or if you know of the source that I may have seen the example I would like to know that.  Fax number is 928-282-2058.

Thanks,
Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E.

jgrill(--nospam--at)swiaz.com