From: "Kestner, James W." <jkestner(--nospam--at)somervilleinc.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 07, 2004 1:43 AM
Subject: RE: horizontal large building

> I also thought Junata may have been inquiring about expansion joints.
>
> The location of expansion joints depend upon many things including type of
construction (steel, concrete, post-tensioned, etc.) It also depends upon
whether the structure is exposed to large temperature variations. I would
also consider the building shape and the location of bracing, shear walls or
other rigid elements that may inhibit horizontal movement.

> "Expansion Joints in Buildings", Technical Report No. 65, 1974, National
Research Council, National Academy of Sciences may be helpful.