Flexible Diaphragm in ETABS

hi folks.

i have one question maybe you can help me, i´m triying to modelate a flexible diaphragm in ETBAS and i found in the archives of the list one message from 1999 talking about ETABS v6 how to modelate a flexible diaphragm the article says this:

Question 3:  How do I model floor flexibility in ETABS?
Answer:  Previous ETABS versions modeled the entire floor plate as a rigid
diaphragm. This is still the default in ETABS V6. The following steps should
be followed when modeling the flexibility of a floor using the floor
element:
1. Define the floor bays and elements to model the stiffness of the floor. A
refined mesh is usually not necessary;
2. Disconnect all joints from the default rigid diaphragm number 1;
3. Choose suitable mass lumping points on the floor. These are the rigid
diaphragms required in the analysis;
4. Specify the joints which contribute their mass to each of these rigid
diaphragms;
5. Finally, connect the rigid diaphragms to two or more column lines closest
to the center of mass.

Question 4:  Why do we need to connect two column lines to the rigid
diaphragm when floor elements are modeled?

Answer: Since diaphragms will typically have both translational and
rotational mass and floor elements do not have rotational stiffness, we need
to connect the diaphragm to two joints in order to provide rotational
stiffness in the form of a couple.

I want to know if still in ETABS 8 i´m supposed to floow these steps.

thanks in advance

renatto

Do You Yahoo!?
Visíta Yahoo! Noticias.