From: Andrew Kester [mailto:akester(--nospam--at)bbma.com]
Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: eng info on dwgs

Chris,
We work in the same area, I assume you do projects around Central FL, and for the most part our review process is minor if anything. If you do school work that is a different story, but rarely do they dig into the technical content of our dwgs.

As far as designating what you are using a wall for, I do not think I would bother. Like you said, the contractor has all the information (hopefully) he needs to build the building from your dwgs and specs. He doesn't need to know the load path or how each member is resisting the loads. We do have a detail for non-load bearing CMU walls and designate them as such, but that is pretty obvious as they go up to the drop ceiling and stop. Now designating a steel moment frame or something is usually helpful for your own detailing or for the steel fabricator and erector to know that information, especially if they are designing the connections. Also that can be very helpful for anyone in the future looking at your drawings during a renovation.

However, if you are designing crucial interior shear walls where your entire lateral analysis depends on them, and they are not load bearing, then I would designate them. This way someone doesn't just demo the wall because it is non-load bearing and then you lose your shear wall. I think this would be especially critical if you were doing a wood frame shear wall in a special situation where in 10 years someone would look at it and just take it down without thinking about it.

Ideally they are calling you or another engineer prior to doing this type of work, but we all know how often that happens....

Andrew Kester, PE
Longwood, FL