RE: Spec needed for 3000 psi concrete

Dennis,

I tend to agree with Joe on this one.  Really let your contractor do the work.  The more guidance you give him, the more liability you accept on the project.  Typically for our concrete specs, we call out the following things:
1. Portland Cement type and ASTM spec.
2. Fly Ash type, content, and applicable ASTM spec.
3. 28-day Compressive Strength
4. Max. Course Aggregate
5. Max. Water/Cement Ratio
6. Air Content
7. Slump

Based on this information, you contractor should be able to come up with the proper mix design.  Anything more, and you start obtaining liability.  I hope that helps.

Dave Maynard, PE
Consolidated Engineers, Inc.
Gillette, Wyoming