Sent: Friday, October 08, 2004 10:41 AM
Subject: Spec needed for 3000 psi concrete

Can someone provide me with a specification for 3000 psi concrete including recommended mix and any specifics I should provide for a grade beam installation? So far what I have is:

  1. Minimum cement content shall be 564 lbs.
  2. Type II/V cement is required (placement is in the desert)
  3. Maximum water to cement ration shall not exceed 0.53
  4. Time from concrete batching to final placement shall not exceed 90 minutes, or 90 degrees F.

These were provided to me by the special inspector who has reviewed the mix supplied to him by the concrete company. It looks a little anemic to me and I want to make sure that I include all requirements for a special  inspection for this moment frame grade beam.

I also think the spec should contain a requirement for certification of the mix, and a method of verifying the mix by the inspection company.

Unfortunately, I need this ASAP so I anyone can provide it, please send it to me privately at the e-mail address listed below.

Thank you in advance,

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer