RE: eng info on dwgs

Bill

You are obviously refering to the provisions in the code requiring specific
information be defined in the Construction Documents.

My response is "carefully and minimally".  I provide only the specific
information required and no more.  While I have not been able to eliminate
the General Notes they can be made much shorter than is common.

In order to minimize the inclusion of wrong information the master notes
you use on each project should not include specific values even if they are
typical.  Thus you will be more likely to omit the value than to
inadvertently include a wrong value.

Where codes require you to show material properties that are repeated in
the specifications I would show only the minimum required.  In the case of
Concrete I would only include f'c, using the argument that the other
information would not be useful to a future user.   Where the code is not
explicit you have great latitude ininterpreting the provisions.  I also
include a note that refers the user to the Specifications for additional
requirements.

You may also want to indicate that this information is provided for
regulatory purposes only and state that it should not be relied on by the
Contractor or others.  I have done this in some special cases and have not
any objection from the building department.

In the situation where you require the Contractor to design specific
components of the building then you need to clearly define the necessary
criteria since the Contractor needs that information to do his work.

Mark Gilligan