From: Scott Maxwell [mailto:smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu]
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 5:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Spec needed for 3000 psi concrete

The other thing to be careful of is to be clear on what Dennis was really
asking for.  Did he want a concrete spec?  Or did he really want a actual
mix design?  I have never actually specified the actual mix design (i.e.
use X lbs of Type I Portland Cement, Y lbs of large aggregate, Z gallons
of waters, A ozs of some admixture, etc).  But, I have spec'd maximum
aggregate size, types of permissible admixtures and their minimum
requirements, type of curing, placement requirements, whether or not fly
ash is permitted and if it can replace part of the Portland Cement, etc.
It is usually up to the concrete supplier to submit a mix design that
meets those requirements, and this usually includes "proof" that the mix
design meets the specified strength requirements (in the form of a
statisitically significant amount of cylinder tests of the mix design).

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 Jnapd(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:

> Scott & Bill:
> From the sounds of Dennis's email the arch  and/or client if it is a  city
> put together the specs without his input and now Dennis is answering
questions
> and concerns that were not his doing.  If he jumps in and  corrects the
errors
> in the specs now all fingers will point to him as the screw  up. The
various
> parties will want compensation for job delay and  new added cost. Dennis
may
> be stuck with this and will probably not be  compensated for his time all
for
> something that was not his fault.  Othwise  I agree with both of you.
Dennis
> will be walking on eggs.
>
> Joe  Venuti
> Johnson & Nielsen Associates