From: Dennis Wish [mailto:dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 12:58 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Plywood sheathing on wood trusses

This is a tough call. I think the issue here is that the shear transfer through the diaphragm creates an opportunity for bending in the exposed nail shaft and/or greater chance of pull-out through bending of the nails. In a tight connection, the bending issue is almost non-existent as the shear is tightly transferred from wood to wood.

So the question then comes it shimming the wood would provide adequate shear transfer. I would prefer to use a nailer to the side of the truss ripped at the angle causing the 3/16? gap and then boundary nail the sheathing to the nailer ? like molasses flowing through the load path from wood to nail to wood to nail. This might confuse some, but I?ve always considered the Molasses metaphor as ideal in understanding load path transfer from roof to foundations.

Sorry about the simplicity of this ? but I try to understand how the materials will work together in light-framing rather than to try and analyze any one component.

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant