From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Plywood sheathing on wood trusses

Thanks for the advice!  I haven't designed a plywood diaphgram before and
wanted to make sure there weren't any particular no-no's to look out for.
I'll keep your thoughts in mind and if the design loading doesn't end up too
high, I won't worry about it.

If it does get too high, I'll add in the molasses!

Thanks,
Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

Keith De Lapp <keith(--nospam--at)kdlengineering.com> wrote:
Shimming a 3/16" thickness doesn't seem practical.  Splitting would be my
big concern.  I would take a look at the demand/capacity ratio.  If it's
high I would require a shaped nailer along side the top chord.  If it's not
high I would inspect for shiners and let it go.  The situation you describe
is common on hip roofs.

Keith De Lapp, P.E.
KDL ENGINEERING