RE: Anchor bolt confinement in pedestals

Very true.  But, my main point still stands...the provision in ACI 318
comes by way of the provisions that were in the model building codes
(BOCA, IBC, UBC).  It appears that ACI 318 decided to specifically call it
out for columns AND pedestals.  But, otherwise it is the same provision as
what is in the 2000 IBC.

If you want to pick appart differences, then it should be noted that the
similar provision for columns (but not pedestals) in the 1996 BOCA applied
for ALL seismic conditions just like the ACI 318-02 provision (i.e.
non-seismic to highest seismic) while the provision in the 2000 IBC only
applies for Seismic Design Categories C or higher.  And strictly
speaking, the UBC provision only applies for cases where the columns
would fall under the seismic provisions (section 1921 is the seismic
concrete provision), which admittedly is all of California (the only
location that I know that still uses the 1997 UBC).

In addition, the 1996 BOCA only required no less that 2 #4 in the top 4
inches, while the 2000 IBC provision is 2 #4 or 3 #3 in the top 5 inches
just like the ACI 318-02 provision.

And, for me, most pedestals that I have dealt with would meet the
definition of a column.  Of course, I live in an area where frost depth is
about 42" or more, so most exterior spread footings have to be deep enough
to be below that.  As a result, many exterior spread footing that I have
designed end up with a pier/pedestal on it that is about 3+ feet tall, so
they would either meet that definition or be close enough.

And, finally, while it is not enforceable (if only my opinions were in
general <grin>) unless I am the EOR, I have always believed that it is
good practive to place such ties in the top of piers/pedestals/columns
with anchor bolts.  It certainly helps that I now seem of the same mind as
ACI 318.  ;-)

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI