RE: Now Political Now: OT Freespeech

I can't help but jump in here.

Respectfully, I believe that both of you are wrong.  As a general rule
people tend to notice and remember opinions DIFFERENT from their own much
more frequently than opinions they share, even if the occurrence of each
type of opinion is roughly the same.

As an example, let's say that there are 200 posts; 100 are general on-topic
structural engineering posts, and 100 are off topic and concern the current
USA presidential administration.  Fifty are pro-Bush and fifty are
anti-Bush.

A pro-Bush reader will probably disagree with the anti-Bush comments.  They
will set little alarm bells in the brain because someone is attacking their
president; maybe a little burst of adrenaline, frustration, even anger.
Most of these posts will likely be remembered as being off topic, wrong,
stupid, evil, pro-terrorist, etc.

Pro-Bush posts will not receive the same treatment from this hypothetical
reader.  They will be passed over as generally agreeable, and get mostly
lost in memory among the 100 on-topic posts.

Say that 40 anti-Bush posts are remembered (at least vaguely) and 20
pro-Bush posts are remembered.  Therefore, in the mind of the Bush
supporter, his opinions are constantly challenged by commie-pinko liberals
while commie-pinko opinions are flung about with abandon.

The same argument applies to the anti-Bush reader, but I'm not going to go
to the trouble of repeating the last three paragraphs substituting
adjectives like "right wing nut job" and "warmonger".

Unfortunately, I have no proof of this.  Actually, there would be no way to
prove it without taking the time to read every post in the archives and
categorize it as either "pro" or "anti" any particular controversial topic.

To go even farther off topic, the new campaign cartoon by Jib-Jab, "Good to
be in DC", is out.  It's not as good as "This Land", and it's quite a bit
raunchier, but it's still funny.  Equal opportunity insults.

---
Jason Kilgore
Leigh & O'Kane, LLC
Kansas City, Missouri