Load combinations in UBC 1997-re code intent

There seems to be a conflict between section 1612.2.1
for load combinations used in Strength Design and LFRD
and section 1909.2 - Required strength for Concrete
if one is designing concrete structures.

I know that the provisions in section 1909.2 used to
be in the old UBC code.

I would appreciate comments. Thanks in advance.

Alex C. Nacionales