Re: Max. Allowable Story Drift per IBC 2000?

> From: "Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>

> It is amazing that this problem persists as it does.  It does not cost that
> much to tighten the lateral drift requirements of the frames, but it sure
> saves a lot of problems in the future.  I generally hold them to h/100 for a
> 10 year wind unless I have a good reason to hold it tighter.  Interior walls
> framing perpindicular to the rigid frames (if you have them) is a very good
> reason.
>
> I performance specify the lateral drift, vertical deflection of all of the
> components right down to the deck and siding.  If for no other reason, I
> then know what to expect.

The metal building industry grew from sheds to hangars but, for the most
part, sales/details/design practices didn't change on the way. Then,
there are always some companies that are in the process of graduating
from sheds to hangars. MBMA has to walk the line on behalf of all of
them, for all possible circumstances, and will not define specific
requirements. Your approach is exactly the approach that I recommend to
clients on both sides of the fence.

For many manufacturers, the attitude is to deal with the problem when it
arises rather than prevent it. Realistically, they are manufacturers of
an engineered assembly, not the consultant on the project. They will not
attempt to determine the customer serviceability expectations. That is
the responsibility of the specifier. The specifier needs to specify
completely, know how to read the quotations and compare between options.

--
Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International