Re: Anchor bolt confinement in pedestals

I appreciate all the discussion this subject has brought up.  It is
interesting to learn the history some times.

But . . . .  I wonder if you could answer my question concerning the
ties, etc.  My original question was how to bring together the anchor
bolt shear and concrete breakout strength per PCA and ACI design
requirements and the concentration of ties at the top of the column/pier.
 If I put the 4-#3 ties at the top do I not need to consider concrete
breakout from the shear load.  If I do, then how would one calculate it?

For the time being I just calculated the shear strength of the concrete
based on the ties and considered that good enough.

Rich

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 11:16:19 -0400 "Wesley Werner" <wwerner(--nospam--at)conewago.com>
writes:
> You can find it in ACI 318-02 section 7.10.5.6.  This section is new
> ACI 318-02. It requires (2)- #4 bars or (3) - #3 bars in the top 5"
> of
> pedestals containing anchor bolts.
>
> Wesley C. Werner

Now includes pop-up blocker!