Concrete beam torsion area

In calculating the area that resists torsion for a monolithic beam and slab, (ex. a concrete edge beam) I believe the Acp would need to include both the flange and the beam. This is my interpretation of the ACI's definition of Acp in section 11.6.1.1 (with one exception as it states).

This gives you a larger area to resist torsion, but it also requires you to provide a greater minimum amount of torsional reinforcing according to ACI 11.6.5.3.

A colleague of mine believes that the flange area may be neglected if you choose and the Acp and minimum reinforcing be based solely on the 'beam' itself disregarding the flange. Does anyone else do this?

Will Haynes, P.E.