Drilled Pier Minimum Diameter

I am looking for minimum diameter of a drilled pier.  I was told by
another engineer that is was 18" by either the ACI or the AASHTO
specifications.  I looked in my copy of ACI 336 .3 "Suggested Design and
Construction Procedure for Pier Foundation" and didn't find any minimum
diameter requirements.  My copy is outdated.  I don't have any AASHTO
specifications.

The reason I ask is I was wondering if 12" diameter was standard
practice.  I have never specified that small before.  It seems to me the
rebar would be too close in a 12" diameter shaft.

I would appreciate any insight on this.

Thanks.

Rich

Now includes pop-up blocker!