RE: Drilled Pier Minimum Diameter

Richard - Depending on where your project is, you are
going to find that 12" drilled shafts are impossible.
Here in Florida, we use a clear cover of 4" for concrete
cast against earth.  This won't leave you much capacity.
In a bridge structure, we almost never use a drilled
shaft less than 36", due to economics.  It is significantly
less expensive to drive a precast pile.
If you can't drive due to vibration concerns, than you
could be stuck with the higher cost drilled shaft.

Hope this helps.

Daniel Mayo
Parsons Brinckerhoff
Office tel.813-207-2944