RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

Check the rebar cover for a 4" slab. That is where you can run into problems.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: "Ed Tornberg" <etornberg(--nospam--at)comcast.net>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 08:48:04 -0700

I too find the PCA vs ACI vs WRI vs etc. methods "difficult" to sort
out.  The only conclusion I can make is that slab design is an "art".
Well, no, it really is a science, but it borders on art because there
are nearly infinite variables involved in determining whether the slab's
cracking (cracking is when and how, not if) will be adverse enough to
irritate the owner.

Why do the design manuals shy away from addressing the classic 4" slab
that seems to be poured quite often?  I know they're really interested
in rack loading, wheel loading, etc. for industrial use, but for your
standard office/light commercial slab that the contractor wants to do as
4", the manuals virtually ignore it.  Example:  ACI 360 Table 9.9 for
joints for plain slabs (which happens to be a PCA table) - the minimum
slab thickness is 5".  If we as engineers allow a 4" slab, have we
violated something?

Ed Tornberg
Tornberg Consulting, LLC
503-551-4165