RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

While a vapor barrier may provide protection against corrosive effects of
soil or weather, an additional reason for additional cover for concrete cast
against grade is due to the irregularity of the surface. Thus, reducing the
cover to that required for formed interior concrete would seem
unconservative to me.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO