RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

Exactly!

The construction quality in many of the non-industrial and non-commercial jobs leaves much to be desired. Typically, a WWF or rebar grid is laid on the soil, concrete placed and the rebar grid is lifted from a few points. The final location of rebar is anybody's guess. Unfortunately, this practice is followed at some industrial sites as well!

That said, reinforced or unreinforced 4" slab or even a 2" slab (used in side walks) has a place, if one can live with periodic maintenance problems.

Rajendran

Harold Sprague <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com> wrote:
Check the rebar cover for a 4" slab. That is where you can run into
problems.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp