RE: Premanufactured Metal Buildings

I sent this yesterday, but apparently it didn't go through... thought I
send it again:

I worked for a metal building mfr. for 5 years.  We used a minimum roof
slope of 1/2" per foot for screw-down roof panels and 1/4" per foot for
standing seam roof panels.  This is in agreement with section 1507.4.2
of the IBC (and probably older codes as well).

I remember another engineer designing a project with 1/8" per foot roof
slope, but that was pretty unusual and IIRC, there was discussion about
voiding the warranty.  Of course, the flatter your roof, the longer it
takes for water to run off and that gives it more time to find a hole to
leak into the building.

Ponding becomes more of an issue for lower slope roofs also.

Bruce D. Holcomb, P.E., S.E.
Structural Engineer
Butler, Rosenbury & Partners
300 S. Jefferson, Suite 505
Springfield, MO 65806
ph. 417-865-6100
fax 417-865-6102
www.brpae.com
Architecture, Engineering, Interior Design, Planning & Development
Your Vision.  Our Focus.