From: Michael Bryson [mailto:mbryson(--nospam--at)NYASE.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 5:27 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

You are right but:
a) in this case it is true
b) the building code is only a required minimum, nothing in the building
code prevents a designer from being more conservative e.g. applying ACI 318
cover requirements for slabs on grade

There is probably a number of documents that establish their own criteria
for cover. ACI 360R has a couple of suggestions for example.

LA City requires #4@16" with a 3.5" slab but this is only for slabs on
expansive soils and compacted fill.