RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

Eli -
>From what I understand, the only thing Fibermesh (fiberglass) does is reduce
the spider cracking that occurs when the surface of the concrete cures too
fast or is improperly cured. I don't think it reduces temperature and
shrinkage (and certainly not flexural) crack widths. Of course, I could be
wrong. It's happened before.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509

-----Original Message-----
From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 5:33 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

All of this discussion/ambiguity seems to me to lead to the idea of
fibermesh as a very viable alternative for NON-structural slabs-on-grade. No
problems with cover, no confusion on % of reinforcing because the fibermesh
supplier usually takes responsibility for dosage of fibers (either glass or
steel fibers).  Our office has done a few jobs with fibermesh and all
parties involved seemed very pleased.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend using fibermesh on heavy duty
industrial slabs or on any composite decks.

Eli Grassley
PSM Engineers
Seattle