Re: Parking garage floors - misc comments

In a previous post I mentioned that epoxy coatings were sensitive to moisture in the subgrade.  I meant to say that they were sensitive to moisture in the substrate - i.e. the surface that they are applied to.

However,  "epoxies"  is a very broad category - many are moisture tolerant.  And there are many good applications for epoxy coatings.  I just don't think parking garages is one of them.

With respect to coating discoloration - epoxies are not resistant to UV degradation (sunlight),  so I think they might "yellow".  Although I've not seen this personally,  I have seen clear acrylics yellow.  But discoloration from sunlight is generally not that big a deal in subterranean parking garages.  Usually, what I have seen is due to someone having dumped out their three-day old coffee.

I would also note that the fact there have been lawsuits regarding a coating product is not necessarily a reflection on the product.  Most lawsuits stem at least partly, if not wholly, from improper installation.  Or the consultant specified an inappropriate product.  When problems are directly traceable to the product,  it is often because the product was improperly stored.

And finally,  a thought as to why a Sika rep wouldn't recommend a polyurethane coating for a parking garage (generically referred to as a waterproofing membrane):

    - BECAUSE SIKA DOESN'T SELL A POLYURETHANE COATING.

Gail Kelley