From: Bill Allen, S.E. [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2004 5:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

Michael -

I don't think I'm the only one who believes ACI-360R is vague and
ambiguous,
particularly when it comes to SOGs used in applications you and I are
talking about (no racks, no wheels, etc.). I'm not even (absolutely)
sure
(but pretty sure) that it's a good document for determining the
reinforcing
in a SOG (I'm now donning my flame suit for Scott and Gail since it
*might*
appear that I have obliquely criticized ACI which I am not).

Just curious, but have you observed the performance of the 4" (or, gasp,
3.5") slabs you have specified after they've been in place for a while?

And I won't comment on a 3.5" SOG with #4s E.W. (on expansive soil, no
less).

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E. (CA #2607)
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers
http://www.AllenDesigns.com
V (949) 248-8588	 .	 F (949) 209-2509