RE: Anchoring to Concrete

I think the intent of the code here is that the addition of reinforcement is only meant to control cracking, not to increase the capacity of the anchorage in tension. Once a crack forms, the stresses in the concrete (hoop stresses) change and the anchorage capacity is reduced.

Now having said that, if more reinforcing means you have smaller cracks, and since there is a correlation between crack size and anchor capacity, then technically additional reinforcing does increase the capacity. But I don't think the code allows for this.

-----Original Message-----
From: Rlabbe [mailto:rlabbe(--nospam--at)cadeidepe.cl]
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2004 6:49 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Anchoring to Concrete

List,

I will require some help to see if we are correctly interpreting the codes
in the
referenced matter.
ACI 318-02, ( App. D ) is determinig the achoring capacities in concrete,
based
on the concrete breakout strenght in tension ( failure cone of the concrete
mass ).
It also allows to increase this capacity, when there is no cracking in the
anchoring
region.
The question is, since this capacity is based only in the concrete failure,
can it be
increased with the addition of adequate reinforcement ? i.e. enough rebar,
and properly
placed, in the ( would be ) failure cone mass, as to take the full pull-out
load.
Appreciate your opinions.

Best Regards,

Raul Labbé  S.E.