RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

While I agree that ACI 318 does not specifically apply to slabs on ground by
definition, the provisions of ACI 318 still represent a standard of care
when it comes to protection of reinforcement against corrosion. If no ACI
standard applies to rebar in a slab on grade, does that make it acceptable
to place the steel 1/4" from the soil? Engineers must use their judgment in
determining when to exceed the minimum code requirements for design of a
structure; similarly, judgment must be used as to when to apply code
provisions to other structures even though not explicitly covered by the
code.

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO