________________________________

	From: James E. McNutt, Vice President, A. W. Lookup Corp.
[mailto:jmcnutt(--nospam--at)awlookup.com]
	Sent: Thursday, October 14, 2004 2:14 PM
	To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
	Cc: jmcnutt(--nospam--at)awlookup.com
	Subject: IBC 2003 seismic design loads for site retaining walls
-10/14/04

	Question:  Need help understanding the IBC 2003 requirements for
determining the design loads for a site retaining wall not near a building
in Pennsylvania.  IBC Section 1614.1, exceptions allows for design based on
ASCE 7.  ASCE Section 9.14.7.2 - Earth-Retaining Structures, 9.14.7.2.1
refers back to Section 9.7.5.1.  This Section 9.7.4.1 - Investigation, falls
under Seismic Design Categories D, E, & F.  We have determined that the
buildings we are designing elsewhere on the site are Seismic Design Category
C.  Are they referring to 9.7.4.1 to define that investigation is needed,
not that we need to be Category D, E, or F?

	Thanks.

	James E McNutt
	James E. McNutt
	A. W. Lookup Corp.
	jmcnutt(--nospam--at)awlookup.com

	This email contains LEGALLY PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
intended only for the use of the recipient named above.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error, please notify A. W. Lookup Corporation by email
AWL(--nospam--at)awlookup.com <mailto:AWL(--nospam--at)awlookup.com> .