RE: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

I agree with Bill on this and I caution you - I worked with a contractor /
developer who took it on the authority of the supplier for Fibermesh that it
would replace the minimum welded wire fabric normally installed in the slab.
Although my design was clear, the contractor substituted Fibermesh for
welded wire fabric and during the curing process a large crack occurred in
the slab.
Follow-up with a call to Fibermesh, the company informed me that they do not
recommend their product as a replacement for steel reinforcement - even in
slabs on grade that are non-structural. It is meant only to enhance
finishing - to minimize hairline factures that occur when a slab is not
properly maintained during curing. It does not guarantee a perfect finish
either - only a reduction in visual marks by use of their glass fiber
product).
I don't understand why they never issued a letter to suppliers or in
catalogs, but the impression I get today (almost eight years after my call)
is that contractors still believe that the product is intended to replace
steel in non-structural slabs on grade. THIS IS NOT TRUE!!!! There is really
no replacement for appropriate maintenance during the curing process to
minimize hairline cracks.

Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://www.structuralist.net

"Apathy is Lethal!" Speak out and Vote - but make sure you get the facts
right without the spin from either side; Verify their claims at
FactCheck.Org; http://www.factcheck.org