Re: Minimum steel in slabs on ground

In a message dated 10/16/2004 4:21:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time, smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu writes:
I got no problem with your opinion about 360R.  And I believe that Gail in
the past has expressed her lukewarm opinion of it in addition to not being
to impressed with PCA's latest edition of Slabs on Ground.
On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Bill Allen, S.E. wrote:

> I'm not even (absolutely) sure (but pretty sure) that it's a good document for determining the reinforcing in a SOG (I'm now donning my flame suit for Scott and Gail since it *might*
 appear that I have obliquely criticized ACI which I am not).

Actually,  I believe I was unflinchingly negative in my comments about  both ACI 360 and the PCA Slab on Ground manual.  And as far as criticizing ACI goes -  criticize away.  But it is  really annoying to listen to people keep whining that they have to pay for ACI documents when AISC gives theirs away for free.  AND has good refreshments at their seminars.

PCA is a trade association that is supported by the cement manufacturers,  the same way AISC is supported by the steel manufacturers.  You could whine about having to pay for their documents if you wanted.

And while we are on the subject,  I would add the recently released PTI publication "Design of Post-Tensioned Slabs Using Unbonded Tendons"  to the list of publications-that-you-have-been-told-are-worthless-so-don't-whine-that-you've-wasted-your-money-if-you-buy-them.

It's badly written, has a number of errors,  and appears to have been put together by a 12-year-old.

Gail Kelley