RE: MATHCAD: Anybody Else Have This Problem?

Gary,
No, I have TEDDS version 6 for Word 2002. This is almost two years old and
no additional upgrades were offered. I suppose that they are supplying
upgrades in the UK because I think that this is where the software
initiates.
I don't mind the version I have but I wished that TEDDS would have gone to
greater depths to provide the users with more information and perhaps, a
tutorial on creating custom programs including linking TEDDS to other MS
software. I like to tinker with my software and if I find that I want to do
something but the tools are not available it gets me frustrated. With the
growing complexity of building codes for wood structures, I am inclined in
the next few years to "retire" from design and enjoy creating more tools for
the engineering community as part of my enjoyable retirement pastime. There
is a definite lack of coordination in packages - especially in the arena of
load tracking as part of the analysis package and links into AutoCad. I
realize that there are many other software packages out there, but it seems
strange that since Microsoft is still leading the pack on office software
that more has not been done to coordinate with MS as being able to link
into. This may be MS's problem as I understand that they are not easy to
obtain source code from, but the makers of TEDDS have come a long way here
and it seems to work for them.

Being in UBC country, I am amazed at how many offices don't fully comply
with the code for light-framing, but rather make educated guesses and
decisions that lead to conservative answers. This should be a wake-up call
for code creators - light framing is not as easy to design a methodology to
that will produce accurate, yet reproducible results over time.
When will they ever learn their lessons? I find it very amusing that those
who participated in the code creation of the 97 UBC still don't design to
full-compliance methods as indicated in Chapter 16. I've plan checked work
from many of these companies and each one takes a shortcut method or ignores
rigid analysis from their work. What's good for the goose is obviously not
good for the gander ;>)

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis S. Wish, PE

California Professional Engineer

Structural Engineering Consultant

dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net

http://www.structuralist.net

"Apathy is Lethal!" Speak out and Vote - but make sure you get the facts
right without the spin from either side; Verify their claims at
FactCheck.Org; http://www.factcheck.org